Operations and Administration
Here’s an overview of the internal workings of the ministry and the roles of various departments
Administration and Supplies Department
- Taking charge of the general administration of the 33 local government councils and 35 LCDAs;
- Advising on general administration matters pertaining to the local government;
- Responsible for assisting in the formation of policies and their execution in the Ministry;
- Ensuring the maintenance of discipline and cohesion in the Ministry/Department/ Agency;
- Advising on all procurement activities of the Departments in the Ministry;
- Maintaining the stores and Government inventories in conjunction with the Finance and Account Directorate;
- Ensuring compliance with Due Process and the provision of the Procurement Act in all contracts and procurement in the Ministry/Department/Agency;
- Supervising the Purchases and Supplies Section of the Ministry/Department/ Agency;
- Responsible for general maintenance of Ministry/Department/Agency.
Finance and Account Department
Payment of Salaries and Salary related deductions:
- Preparation of Payment Voucher for Ministry’s Expenditure;
- Preparation of Cashbook and Bank Reconciliation Statement for all the Ministry Bank Accounts.;
- Correspondences with banks and other Financial Institutions on behalf of the Ministry.
Local Government Affairs
- It serves as the information hub for the Local Government councils at the state level as every matters relating to these local government councils including the notification of joint meeting for the local government will be disseminated through the department;
- The Department of Local Government Affairs coordinates the activities and affairs of all the Thirty-three (33) Local Governments and Thirty-five (35) Local Government Council Development Areas in the State.
Local Government Inspectorate
- The enforcement of safe and healthy operating practices in the local government;
- Giving advise to the Ministry in the formulation and issuance of operational guidelines to the Local Governments;
- Periodic inspection exercises on Local Government finances, projects executed and making reports to the Ministry;
- To monitor and supervise the Local Government Councils in the conduct of their financial and contractual activities.
Schedule of Duties/Functions
- The Department is primarily concerned with all matters relating to the State Council of Obas;
- Attending to Chieftaincy disputes and complaints against the abuse of traditional authority.